Book Review: Ariel by Fia Essen

by - August 04, 2015



'Ariel' is a such an inspirational book about a funny and quirky woman who has hit 'Rock Bottomville' and tries to get her life back on track. The book highlights the importance of family relationships, as well as honesty - not only to others, but also to yourself. 

Ariel Morton had the perfect life. She had the perfect penthouse apartment, a wonderful boyfriend and a great job. However, after one unfortunate heartbreak, she had lost everything and she isolated herself from her friends.
Ariel was 34 years old and stuck in a rut. Working at a job she didn't particularly enjoy, being isolated, and having a strained relationship with her family - she clearly missed her old life.
With the help of a mentor and 'Colin' she began her journey of trying to get her life back on track. By being honest and open with others, she managed to amend her relationship with her siblings and she realised that her family were always there for her no matter what. Ariel managed to find herself and figure out what she wanted in life. Did she still want her old luxurious life back? Or was she starting an adventure for something new?

Now, what I love about this story is that Ariel is such a relatable character. For me personally, I was able to really identify with her which helped me to put everything into perspective. Ariel is a little bit older than me, however the struggles that she goes through, I understood. This book teaches you that you are in charge of your own future, and that denying and lying is not the way to get out of the rut. But admitting and taking responsibility for your actions is. While not all of us have the help from the Muse Agency, all of us are capable of turning our lives around and reinventing ourselves. The book also teaches you that even though your relationship with others may be strained, if you reach out to them, they may surprise you. 

While this is a great story of Ariel's journey, I just wish there was more of her and Colin's story at the end as I was very intrigued about how their relationship would go once Ariel had made up her mind and Duncan was out of the picture for good. I wonder if everything worked out and they lived happily ever after. Also Ariel's hope of getting revenge on Duncan after being apart for three years was a bit out of character I thought, as getting another man to make him jealous was quite an amateur move - especially when her and Colin were clearly interested in each other. But then again, I kind of understand as Duncan did suddenly throw away 10 years of their lives together and she was still hurting.

Other than that, 'Ariel' is an amazing story and her journey is truly inspiring. The description of the characters and the settings really helped to make the book come to life. I would definitely recommend it for anyone as it is a great read. I am so glad I got the chance to read this book. A great book by a great author.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi Ema! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review Ariel. Reviews are enormously helpful to me because they tell me what I've done right with my story and which aspects of my writing I need to work on... and now I'm thinking maybe I have to do a sequel focusing on Ariel and Colin's relationship as it develops.

    Many, many thanks!
    Fia

    ReplyDelete